I'm Iranian, here's my views of Iran, or misconceptions about Iran.
- Government: Iran, officially the Islamic Republic of Iran (جمهوری اسلامی ايران) is an Islamic theocracy and a global focal point for Shia Islam It includes elements of presidential democracy, with the ultimate authority vested in an autocratic "Supreme Leader".
- Geography: It is in very large country in southwest Asia. Bordered by Iraq, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Caspian Sea, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Persian Gulf.
- History: Iran is home to one of the world's oldest civilizations, beginning with the formation of the Elamite kingdoms in 4,000 BC.
- It was first unified by the Iranian Medes in the seventh century BC, and reached its territorial height in the sixth century BC, when Cyrus the Great founded the Achaemenid Empire, which became one of the largest empires in history and has been described as the world's first superpower.
- The empire fell to Alexander the Great in the fourth century BC
- Arab Muslims conquered the empire in the seventh century AD, which led to the Islamization of Iran.
- Control was then passed to the Turks, then the Mongols, and so on.
- The CIA didn't create a "Coup" to overthrow Mohammad Mosaddegh and appoint the Shah. The Shah was the legal leader of Iran, and at his behest, the CIA helped him regain control from the Marxist/Russian Dictator Mohammad Mosaddegh.
More Articles[edit | edit source]
Iran • [3 items]
|City of Lies|
Ramita is a bit of a Social Justice Warrior, traveling the world and telling you what's wrong with it. Tehran, Iran was seen through that lens. Still, it is very interesting vignettes that point out a lot of the hypocrisy and contradictions, as any culture would look to "outsiders". So biased, but definitely worth the read.
|An article on Iranian conflict: The Iranian people are not our enemy. Mixed good and bad analysis. (1) The Iranian people are not our enemy = good (2) The idea we should try to influence their economy = bad (mind your own business) (3) We have excessive demands = dumb... and so on.|
🔗 More[edit source]
🔗 External Links
- Wikipedia:History of the Islamic Republic of Iran